Thursday, January 12, 2012

olympic marathon trials

Jenn enjoying a beer.
On the subway today I was listening to the Ultrarunner Podcast. The episode to which I was listening featured an interview with Jenn Shelton. Jenn is probably best known for her role in Born to Run (which is an absolutely fantastic book and is responsible for getting me into ultramarathons), but she is also the record holder at the Rocky Raccoon 100 with an unbelievable time of 14:57 (that's under 9:00/mile for 100 miles!! She was 3rd overall and finished 3.5 hours before the 2nd place female!!). She also has great taste in beer and participates in the Beer Mile, which sounds awesome.


Anyway, enough about Jenn...don't want to make Liz jealous. The point is that I found out she is running this weekend at the Olympic Trials for the Marathon. I checked out the field for the trials and it's obviously amazing. I'm pulling for Jenn and Josh Cox to make it since they are the two ultrarunners I know who will be at the trials (Josh is the US record holder for the 50k).


I think Ryan Hall and Meb are shoe-ins for the men. For the women I think Shalane and Kara are shoe-ins, and I'm hoping Lauren Fleshman can make it as well. I'm not sure how Deena is doing this year, but I would like to see her get in as well so that she could redeem her DNF from Beijing in '08.


Looking forward to finding out this Saturday. Keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment