Tuesday, January 17, 2012

new balance minimus zero

MR00 (Road)
MT00 (Trail)
When I'm not running in my Vibram FiveFingers, I like to run in my New Balance Minimus MT20s. Liz got them for me for our second anniversary in September and I love them. I returned the favor and got her a pair of the WT20s for Christmas. She's really happy with them as well.


The only problem is that they are great shoes...for trail running. Living in the city I mainly pound the pavement day after day in Central Park or Harlem. I need to find a shoe that has minimalist qualities, but a little more padding for those long runs on the unforgiving pavement. I've tried on the Nike Free, but I didn't like the feel. I know some people swear by them, but I don't think they are for me. Different strokes for different folks.


Enter the New Balance Minimus Zero. I haven't seen these in stores yet, but I can't wait until I do (especially if they hit the shelves around my birthday in March!).


Birthday Shoes has an extensive review (with lots of photos) of both the trail and road versions (in both men's and women's). 


I'm definitely going to get the road version ASAP and get the trail version once my MT20s get too worn down. I didn't like the initial Minimus road shoes because they had too much padding. I think NB learned from their first versions and made massive improvements in this update. 


What shoes do you normall wear on the trail and road?


Keep running!

1 comment:

  1. I have the old minimus roads for road running. They're on the cushiony side of minimal but I like them quite a bit. I had to get them because road running in my merrel trail gloves were a bit too minimal to do long road runs although I LOVE them for trails.

    I can't imagine running trails in the chunky high heeled pillows I used to wear. I feel like I'd be constantly twisting my ankle. The only problem with minimal trail shoes is going down steep hills. You pound your heels if the terrain is too steep or too rough to lean forward.

    ReplyDelete